EQUITYOPPORTUNITY

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Have you got a lucky stock?

Not necessarily a stock that has made you tons of moolah at one go, but one which went up and down, but in which you still traded and emerged unscathed, despite perhaps one or several close calls?

I know I have at least two,at least for now.

One is (or was ) Renong.

Ever since it became only the third stock I ever bought at twenty-one-and-a-third years old, I have never suffered a loss on this stock.

The first money I made on the counter was during the aftermath of the Kobe earthquake when markets plunged in tandem, and I entered it ignorantly.


I made a small profit on it again later that year, and again towards the end of the year. During this time, the price yo-yoed between S$1.30 and S$2.20, never moving in a straight line(it was traded on the now defunct CLOB in Singapore).Even in '97, in the midst of a widely-unexpected , and deeply vicious downdraft in stock prices that eventually crippled me, I managed to make a not insignificant amount buying and selling Renong within a S$1.90-S$1.96 price range without coughing up a cent(in a contra trade). Several years later, when the Asian economic crisis had rendered me almost financially incapacitated, I entered Renong again, speculatively, at S$0.30, and, on selling it off at S$0.50 within days, I earned the first monies that would put me back on my feet by the beginning of 1999.

My partner in speculation celebrated our good fortune with a treat at Spaggedies at Tanglin Mall.

Just before CLOB shuttered in September '98, I made another go at Renong: buying at around S$0.15, I exited on the last day of trading on CLOB for S$0.22-25c.

In 1999, trading in Johor Bahru, I made a further small profit on this stock as it advanced with the general market.

Luck? I would wager so, since the stock has generally been going down all the while I was trading it.


The only other stock that holds even a skinny candle to Renong would be Equation(formerly Heshe) listed on the SGX.

I made speculative trades five times, the first time capturing a 13.5c to 15.5c rise in mid-September, and the last one being a 18.5c to 19.5c profit. And it's price trend since I started dabbling in it has been generally down.[Equation closed at 17c unchanged on the 9th of February.


As it stands, I sense another potential surge building up in its price action, so regular readers, put Equation on your watch list.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home