EQUITYOPPORTUNITY

Saturday, February 03, 2007

My motivation to share...and the impending tech blowoff.

Some of you readers may think I am a real braggard with regards to my successes. And because of this, you may pooh-pooh my recommendations. Many of you may think that I am a greedy person to only want to share wholeheartedly in return for a fee.

Well, you may not be totally off the mark in that regard.

But which of us isn't greedy, and who can claim that they don't feel like boasting about a small success once in a while?


Granted that my capital is dwarfed by many an investor out there, and that successes have been few and far between in 2006.

My cardinal sin has always been spotting some good buys at near rock-bottom prices only to take profit much too early.


Cases in point include purchases of C&C at S$2.69 in November'01, BIL at 25.5c in February '02, Capitaland at S$1.01 in March '03, all of which I sold off within a year at less than a thousand dollars in profit each.

Of course, I also had duds like Genemedix at $1.85 and LJacob at 48c and so on.

I guess all my life I have craved some recognition for my efforts and successes, something my parents hardly ever gave me.

Childish? Maybe...

But who can boldly say that they aren't influenced by their upbringing to some not insignificant, if undefinable extent?

Because of some unfortunate childhood incidents, I am unlikely to have the privilege(but will be spared the pain) of bringing up a family,which a lot of you probably take for granted more than half the time, if you dared to admit it.

Me? I live in a rented room in a crowded HDB flat. My bed has no pillow and I have been using the same bedsheet(rewashed once a week, of course!) since five years ago.

Due to my phobia of moving(which I have five times in the past two years), I choose to buy little to contribute to the creature comforts that most of you retire to daily, so that they present less of a hassle when I move.

Instead, I scrimp and save every penny for a better future.

What I do have is a job with a salary that, if saved carefully , with a compounded annualised return of 10% a year, can afford me a modest roof over my head within 10 years, debt free.

My quest for the dream of one day owning a modest home of my own,which I will pay upfront for, is why I have devised this idea of researched investing focus points in exchange for a small fee.

I used to have a 50-50 profit sharing arrangement with a rather wealthy investor. With my investment advice(I actually dug up charts in the National University archives dating back to 1985) and her moolah, we jointly trickled money into the Singapore and Malaysian markets from end '97 to '99. Memorable buys included CityDev at $2.49, OCBC at $3.70, Venture at $3.70, Teledata at 15c(it ran up to over 50c before we sold it off), and, of course, Jardine Strategic at just above US$1.

In Malaysia, we bought a whole host of stocks, including Time at 25.5c, Hwa Tai at RM5.05(sold at RM13.20 in 1999) and Sime Darby at RM2.50.


To cut a long story short, I didn't need to work for two and a half years from '98 to '99.

Those were, undeniably, the most wonderful years of my life thus far.

Despite the wrong predictions last year, I still hold on to the wonderful memory of those halcyon days of 1998 and 1999.


Well, anyhoo, getting out of my reminiscent, ruminating mood into some discussion of what I managed to uncover today:

Tech majors like Cisco, Intel and , to a lesser degree, Microsoft, look set to complete a final blowoff pattern that will probably take them up to 61.8% of their 2000-2002 drop, which, in Cisco's case, would set a target at around US$36-37.


In S'pore, OSIM looks to have found a temporary bottom. If not at current levels, the floor looks to be around S$1.

China Sun and DMX seem to have found their bottoms, together with most SESDAQ companies whihc have fallen from recent year highs.

In Malaysia, tech majors like Unisem and GTronic look like they have an 80% or higher chance of rebounding after recent corrections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home