EQUITYOPPORTUNITY

Saturday, February 24, 2024

General Electric's price has penetrated its long-term downtrend line

                                        

This is very likely caused by the anticipation of its final spinoff, GE Vernova, to be finalized in April '24. I had made the classic 'catching the falling knife' mistake on Oct 31 '17, buying the pre-consolidated GE shares @ $20.57, only to have to endure their drop to $6+ in the next few years.

Fortunately, its previous spinoff, GE Healthcare, was sold by me near the top of its previous run from IPO debut, on Apr 22nd, 2023 at between $85.25 & $86.28, netting M$1,393.17 worth of US$, on top of a $50 'gift' of WABTech shares sold in '21(the equivalent of M$201.28) & miniscule dividends in '17 & '18. After adjusting for the reverse stock-split, it needs to rise to $162.30, or 6% higher from the 23rd Feb close, for me to not break my rule of only considering a stock profitable if it yields a capital gain on top of dividends. However, if I need the funds desperately, even at the latest close, my M$ loss is less than a hundred(cf ~$116) considering that the US$/M$ rate has risen from 4.23 when the shares were paid for over 6 years prior, to 4.78 presently. 

With the current bull market showing few signs of topping soon, I anticipate GE shares rising to between $180 & $200 in advance of the Vernova spinoff two months from now and I am likely to sell my 76-78-month General Electric holding on the eve of the spinoff ex-date!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home