EQUITYOPPORTUNITY

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

And so it has come to pass...Nikkei 39,000 for the first time ever!



 It took 34 years & nearly 2 months to re-approach the 39,000 level which it came so close to touching(42.56 points away to be exact, or 0.11%) on Dec 29th 1989. The only slightly unsettling point is that the intraday high's digits add up to forty, which is exactly the sum of the previous intraday high that fateful December day long ago: 3+8+9+5+7+4+4 =40.

Thus, a prediction I made over 8 months ago finally gets fulfilled and now 40,000 becomes the next target!




My 'terrible investment' in General Electric & fruitful odyssey in Japan!

Never catch a falling knife! And yet I did, in hindsight, on the last day of October 2017, buying a hundred shares at just over $20.50 and they unexpectedly proceeded to drop precipitously to $6+ in the next several years.  My bigger error was not reading more deeply into the problems of the company back then, growing a little lazy as I was buoyed by my spectacular success accumulating half a million shares in Sino Hua-An by Aug 28th '17( itself a falling knife-catching error if brutally assessed) & seeing them rocket three-fold on a single day when the predicted profit turnaround manifested.

For the next 8 months, the latter became a cash-generating machine & enabled my deeper diversification into Japanese stocks, which I discovered were eminently Grahamian in many instances, & which I bought increasingly into, 2 years before the Oracle of Omaha. GE has since rebounded, spinning off WABTech & GE Healthcare, which were disposed to net the equivalent of 18% of my investment & GE itself is now 6% away from a likely capital gain. And the Nikkei index, which I forecast 8 months ago would revisit its '89 peak, has definitively fulfilled by forecast by ending @ 39,098.68 on Friday!   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home